Ask The Expert Columns
Ask The Expert #1
- I’ve lost all my records. Can I still file my tax return?
- I won’t have the money to pay my taxes. Should I wait until I have the money before I file my taxes?
- I am getting older and was thinking of giving a property to my daughter, is this a good idea?
Ask The Expert #2
- I’m thinking about taking $60,000 out of my IRA to pay off my house. Is this a good idea?
- I got a phone call from someone who said they were the IRS that said if I didn’t pay tax money owed they would throw me in jail. How do I know if it was the IRS?
- The IRS has charged me penalties. Do I have to pay the penalties?
Ask The Expert #3
- This will sound like a dumb question, but I forgot to deduct medical bills on my tax return on my return last year. Can I deduct it on this year’s tax return?
- My daughter and her baby live with, and I pay for the utilities and food. Can I claim my grandchild?
- My uncle always deducts his remodeling on his home on his tax return. Is it ok to deduct remodeling?
Ask The Expert #4
- My son will be going to college and moving out of state next year. Will I be able to claim him on my tax return?
- I received a 1099-C Cancelation of debt. Is that amount required to be reported as income on my tax return?
- My son is 17 and son received a 1099-MISC for $600. That is his only income. Is he required to file a tax return?
Ask The Expert #5
- I discovered a missed deduction in a previous year’s return. Will I be likely to be audited if I amend my return?
- I have been separated from my husband for several years, and he won’t agree to a divorce. How long do I have to file Married Filing Separately?
- I own a business and am trying to buy a house. My bank says that my profit is not enough to buy the house I want. Can I file a return without all of my expenses and then amend it after the mortgage has been approved?
Ask The Expert #6
- I will soon be receiving an inheritance. Will it be taxable?
- I have tax returns and receipts for over 20 years. When is it safe to throw them away?
- I drive almost 30 miles a day to go to work. Is there any way I can deduct it on my tax return.